Many Australians enjoy gambling as a social activity, but when it is gambling addiction then it becomes a problem, it’s time to seek help from a professional. Problem gambling is common in Australia with estimates that one per cent of the population suffer from the condition.
Gambling addiction problem is defined as when a person has difficulty limiting the amount of money and time spent on gambling, and which leads to negative consequences for the gambler, as well as their family and friends.
Some of the signs and symptoms of problem gambling are:
- Spending more time gambling than doing other normally enjoyable activities
- Increased debt levels
- Difficulty paying bills on time
- Increased moodiness, irritability or anger
- Deceitful behaviour towards family and friends
- Believing that more gambling will solve financial problems
- Using apps and online gambling to gamble all the time
If you have a problem with gambling, it may be affecting not just yourself, but those closest to you. An addiction to gambling can be destructive to your relationships with family and friends. You may even find yourself selling items or borrowing money in order to gamble. Guilt and shame are common emotions of a gambling addict.
Our Client Connect Team is warm and always ready to help you in the search for the right psychologists for therapy.
A psychologist can help you to regain control of your life. If you have a gambling problem, call today and start getting the treatment you need.